[postgis-users] finding street address points

Alex Rice alex_rice at arc.to
Tue Sep 3 11:06:54 PDT 2002

Hi, I am developing in mapserver + postgis and trying to duplicate some
functionality that we have in mapinfo. I think it originally came from
MapBasic, and I don't have the source code for it. Does any function
similar to this exist in PostGIS? Any pointers for approaches for this
problem?

The mapbasic function in question finds an estimated point for an
address, given a line segment object and an address number. The line
segment object also has integer fields for the address range: fromleft,
fromright, toleft, toright. The algorithm selects a point along the
line segment based on the address range, and then moves back about 25'
from the boundary based on the odd or even address number. This is used
to estimate points where street address locations are.

Thanks,

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alrice at swcp.com
alex_rice at arc.to