[postgis-users] finding street address points

Thomas, Cord cthomas at rand.org
Tue Sep 3 14:00:47 PDT 2002

Alex,

First question - you developing in Perl, or other?

This is basic geometry.

I am new to MapServer, so there may be address matching libraries already
built, but if not, we should defitely explore the creation of a mapping
library for address matching - a very common task.

The issue at hand is to do the following at various levels of complexity:
  given an address data source (street centerline often, sometimes property
data from assessor)
  search the source for the request street name, street extension (often
suffix), and house/building number.
  if exact street name matches, great, other use some heuristics/phonetics
rules to find appropriate list of close matches
  find street segment between which requested house number lies.
  interpolate between 'from' and 'to' addresses and build the function for
the line connecting the two points (from and two).
  offset the requested address by 25 feet (in your case) using the line
function just built.

This is a basic set of queries to PostGIS and then a little simple geometry.

Has anyone done this?

Cord