[postgis-users] Status of OGR & PostGIS?

C F gis_consultant at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 3 16:31:22 PDT 2002

Hello,
Perhaps somebody could clarify for me what is going on in the OGR world with
respect to PostGIS.  As I understand it, one of the uses of OGR would be to
say, convert a shapefile into a PostGIS layer or vice versa... with the real
value of OGR in being that it it's not limited to that format, you can use
several formats.  Right?
The OGR site states that PostGIS support is "experimental".  We also have
available to us, shp2pgsql/pgsql2shp from the PostGIS team.  From monitoring
the list over the last few months, it appears that there is active
maintenance (bug fixing) on the shp2pgsql utility but have not seen any
movement or discussion on OGR.

So my question is... does anybody have a feel for how reliable OGR/PostGIS
is relative to shp2pgsql?  Is there any ongoing development?  Basically, I'd
much rather use OGR in case I want to expand my list of accepted input
formats, but I'll be getting shapefiles from a wide variety sources... and
based on what I've been reading in the list, it sounds like quite a few
unexpected problems can arise when importing shapefiles.

Thanks!