[postgis-users] CVS Stability

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Tue Apr 8 14:29:59 PDT 2003

Generally speaking, it is safe to use the latest CVS version of
PostGIS, as CVS differs from release mostly in having lots of minor bug
fixes.

However, when major changes are afoot, the CVS can become
unpredictable. You never know what you'll get.  This is one of those
times.  Dave is shortly going to commit the first cut of code which
uses the GEOS library (geos.refractions.net) to provide the remaining
OpenGIS SFSQL functionality which we are currently missing.  Before
these changes are really useful to the unwashed masses, we are going to
have to (a) provide a stable GEOS release and (b) synchronize our
PostGIS code to that release.  Right now there is no GEOS release, just
the CVS. Hence the inherent instability of the PostGIS CVS. The code
Dave is committing today is know to leak lots of memory. Beware.

To repeat: until the next numbered release (0.8) is out, do not use the
CVS snapshots unless you are willing to work with experimental and
tempermental code.

      Paul Ramsey
      Refractions Research
      Email: pramsey at refractions.net