[postgis-users] About $libdir

strk strk at freek.keybit.net
Thu Apr 10 07:58:25 PDT 2003

benjamin.thelen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to find out, what $libdir contains? Something like echo
> $libdir or print $libdir?

$libdir points to `pg_config --pkglibdir`

`pg_config --pkglibdir` is where extensions to postgres reside
`pg_config --libdir` is where postgres libs reside

If you need to compile something agains postgres you should use
-L`pg_config --libdir`. When installing an extension you should
use `pg_config --pkglibdir`.

Postgis "should" be installed in `pg_config --pkglibdir` and
then enabled pointing to $libdir in the enabler SQL code.

> I've changed $libdir to /usr/local/pgsql/lib and it now seem to work fine.
> There are at the beginning of the output a few messages, which I don't
> understand:

Your version of postgis has probably been installed in --libdir
instead of --pkglibdir.
$libdir in your case is probably pointing at /usr/local/pgsql/lib/postgresql
(pg_config --pkglibdir)

did I make enaught confusion :) ?

> Well, the question is, why does $libdir not work? How can I make it work?

# mv `pg_config --libdir`/libpostgis.* `pg_config --pkglibdir`

> Maybe it was not the best idea to change $libdir into the absolute path?

it was enaught good to make it work.. new releases will fix this for you

--strk;