[postgis-users] compilation problem with postgresql7.4 + post gis0.8

TECHER Jean David davidtecher at yahoo.fr
Thu Dec 4 13:23:22 PST 2003

RE: [postgis-users] compilation problem with postgresql7.4 + postgis 0.8

 > Only us crazy programmers are awake at this time in Canada.

   I see one problem. You say that you are compiling PostGIS to be used with
PostgreSQL 7.3.4, but PostGIS is compiling for PostgreSQL 7.4. One of the
PostGIS   programmers   will have to confirm this, but I believe that a
PostGIS compile for PostgreSQL 7.4 will not work with PostgreSQL 7.3.4
(which is the 7.3 version). If your PostgreSQL version is 7.3.4, you will
have to have a source directory called *7.3* or modify the PostGIS Makefile
to USE_VERSION=73.

  I use PostGIS 0.8.0 / PostgreSQL 7.3.4 / GEOS 1.0.0/ PROJ 4.4.7 on WIndows
XP with  cygwin

  Actually to PostGIS avalable oline documentation at
http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/x83.html

  " PostGIS 0.8.0 can be built against PostgreSQL versions 7.1.0 to 7.4.x "

  that's right!!!

  once you (it you want) installed proj and geos (use_proj=1 and use_geos=1
in the makefile of postgis)  you go to your postgis directory and do

  make clean

  make

  you will have (postgis.sql, postgis.dll...) in your postgis directory

  open your postgis.sql and you have to replace $libdir by the path to your
postgis directory

  example: if your directory is
/usr/local/postgresql-7.3.4/contrib/postgis-0.8.0 then replace $libdir by
this path in order to postgresql to find your postgis.dll