[postgis-users] postgis, postgresql and geological data

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Thu Dec 18 19:43:15 PST 2003

Dennis,

I'm responding off-list for the time being, although generally we try to
keep all the responses on-list...

A couple of points to consider.

DEMs, DOQQs, etc are different data presentations.  Once you snag them,
you have to consider the metadata, especially the geodetic datum and
ellipsoid of the information, as well as the projection.

Mapserver will reproject data, but if you try to mix geodetic datums
(NAD27 vs NAD83, for instance) things will get confusing very quickly.

In the database you created for your brother, how do you log lat/lon?
Are data acquired by GPS, or SWAG'd off a quad-sheet?  What's the level
of accuracy you want for the data, and how precisely are they recorded
now in the database?

Essentially, what you're looking at is a full-blown GIS application, and
while MapServer can render the data, and MySQL or PostGreSQL can handle
any and all of the database chores, the user interface might still be a
pretty problem.

I'll try to answer geodetic questions if you have any. Please refer
general Mapserver questions to the main list, so the larger public can
gain from the discussion.

Regards,
Gerry