[postgis-users] postgis, postgresql and geological data

Dennis Veatch dveatch at woh.rr.com
Wed Dec 17 07:42:03 PST 2003

On Wednesday 17 December 2003 10:12 am, Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov wrote:
> Dennis,
>       You might check with your local USGS-WRD office,
> http://water.usgs.gov/admin/wrd-dir/OH.html#HDR0 ,  to see about local
> geological GIS data layers  and their existing well database  ( I believe
> it's called NWIS) .

Thanks for the link, I will check that out.

> You will probably not be able to get the detailed
> information  that it sounds like you want for each well from a generalized
> geological GIS data layer.  From what I understand, drillers keep logs on
> how deep they go and what kind of substrate they encounter as they drill (
> x feet of sand, x feet of clay  ,etc. ) .  If your brother-in-law has such
> information for each well, you can attach it to the geographic points.

Yes, I know (or assumed) the detail information probably is not available.
Though I did find a web site I could input a well log report (for Ohio) and
get some general info about it, but not what I was looking for.

Yes I have the detailed well information from my brother-in-law he submits to
the state so it's just a matter of creating the appropriate tables and
importing that data. A good portion of the well data he has already put into
the cheesy database I made so he could look up customer/well info.

So the actual well data is a minor concern, it's finding the approriate data
set (?) to use so when a well is selected, it's lat/long is placed correctly
over the map.

Another confusing aspect is which do I use? There's DLG's, DEM's, DOQQ's just
to name a few.

My biggest problem is wrapping my brain around this. After monitoring this
mail list for a good while some of the issues I have seen dealing with
geometry, datasets, etc are more or less exactly beyond me. Not that will
stop me trying, this will either be a success or a colossal waste of my
time. :)