[postgis-users] postgis, postgresql and geological data

Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov
Wed Dec 17 07:12:22 PST 2003

Dennis,
      You might check with your local USGS-WRD office,
http://water.usgs.gov/admin/wrd-dir/OH.html#HDR0 ,  to see about local
geological GIS data layers  and their existing well database  ( I believe
it's called NWIS) .   You will probably not be able to get the detailed
information  that it sounds like you want for each well from a generalized
geological GIS data layer.  From what I understand, drillers keep logs on
how deep they go and what kind of substrate they encounter as they drill (
x feet of sand, x feet of clay  ,etc. ) .  If your brother-in-law has such
information for each well, you can attach it to the geographic points.

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC

                      Dennis Veatch <dveatch at woh.rr.com>
                      Sent by:                                   To:      postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net
                      postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refr         cc:
                      actions.net                                Subject: [postgis-users] postgis, postgresql and geological data

                      12/17/2003 09:04 AM
                      Please respond to PostGIS Users
                      Discussion

Some background about what I want to do and hopefully someone can point me
in
the right direction. My brother-in-law drills water wells and some time ago
created a customer database so he could look up information about the well
he
drilled. The idea I have is to create a database of geological data for
water
well drillers and merge/link it to a database of their customers. The state

of Ohio now requires the well driller to include the latitude and longitude

of the new well when he submits his report to the state agency.

Other information they provide on that state report are the underburden
layers
they drill through, such as, dirt, clay, sand, gravel, clay/sand,
gravel/sand, etc.

He has well records going back to when his father was in the same business
(about 50 years worth). So in general the goal is to take a wells
longitude/latitude and overlay that with a map of what was drilled through
create the well.

My confusion is where to find existing geological data that I can use as a
basis, can such data be imported (easily) into Postgis/Postgresql and well,

there are a number of other things but I don't want to make this post to
long.

Any thoughts, pointers or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
--
Registered Linux user 193414
http://counter.li.org

"Trying"? My contribution was much closer to a "feeble wave in the general
direction of something that might lead you one step closer to a solution
if you squint really hard and do all of the work."