[postgis-users] postgis, postgresql and geological data

Randy George rkgeorge at cadmaps.com
Fri Dec 19 07:41:47 PST 2003

Dennis Veatch wrote:
> On Thursday 18 December 2003 10:43 pm, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:
>
>>Essentially, what you're looking at is a full-blown GIS application, and
>>while MapServer can render the data, and MySQL or PostGreSQL can handle
>>any and all of the database chores, the user interface might still be a
>>pretty problem.
>

> Hmmm a full-blown GIS app. I don't suppose you or anyone here might know
of
> such that already exists?
>
> Yeah, I'm sure the user interface will be ummm interesting. Bear in mind
he
> drills wells and is not computer literate. Though I don't want it dumbed
down
> where there is little to no flexability.

It's not impossible to craft something with a web interface to enter the
well data, and store it in a PostGres/PostGIS database.

	SVG http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/ provides a very flexible interface for
the result sets from PostGIS as well as other geospatial DBs. Since svg is
XML it is fairly portable but the best viewer implementation currently is
the free Adobe Viewer plugin for IE. Many users already have it as part of
the Acrobat reader but its free from the Adobe site
http://www.adobe.com/svg/viewer/install/main.html In order to use SVG with
PostGIS you have to provide a simple WKT to SVG translation. I have heard of
one in perl we modified the PostGIS java extensions in a Java servlet to
produce the svg output, which is convenient to use with the postgresql JDBC
driver. I am hoping that the posgis java extensions will someday (soon)
complete the wkb factory so we can compare performance without having to
write our on wkb classes.