[postgis-users] non-bounding box intersections

Brent Wood wood at niwa.co.nz
Wed Feb 26 17:02:00 PST 2003

Hi,

I'm looking at using Postgres/PostGIS to undertake some basic spacial
analyses.

To this end I'm wondering if/when PostGIS will support genuine
polygon/line queries instead of bounding box based queries.

For example, returning the intersection of two polygons (as a new
polygon partaking of the appropriate parts of its "parents' boundaries),
or identifying the polygons crossed by a line (and returning the
truncated line as a new line feature).

As I read the documentation, PostGIS at present only uses the bounding
box of the shapes for such queries, which is not adequate for my needs.

There is a comment about the development of topological functionality
which would appear to address my needs, but no timetable or further
information.

Any suggestions/comments/info appreciated.

Brent