[postgis-users] Center of a path.

Luís Mota luis.mota at iscte.pt
Sun Jan 12 12:32:25 PST 2003

Hi again.

Here is the function.

It does a bit more than what you asked: it computes points in any place in
the linestring, measured in a percentage of the line, and it can also
translate the point some meters to the left or right. The first argument is
the linestring, the second a percentage that will determine the distance
from the startpoint, the third the number of meters you want to translate
the resulting point from the line, and finally the fourth is if the
translation should be to the left (it is miningless if the third argument is
0).

If you simply want to find the point in the middle of the line, then please
use:
pointInLine(<lineString>,0.5,0,true)

Best regards, Luís Mota
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION pointInLine (GEOMETRY,DOUBLE PRECISION,DOUBLE
PRECISION,BOOLEAN)

RETURNS GEOMETRY AS

'DECLARE

lineString ALIAS FOR $1;

percentage ALIAS FOR $2;

distance ALIAS FOR $3;

toLeft ALIAS FOR $4;

distanceFromStart DOUBLE PRECISION;

elapsedDistance DOUBLE PRECISION;

npoints INTEGER;

tempLineString GEOMETRY;

percToAdd DOUBLE PRECISION;

dx DOUBLE PRECISION;

dy DOUBLE PRECISION;

pointInLine GEOMETRY;

BEGIN

IF geometrytype(lineString) != ''LINESTRING'' OR

percentage < 0 OR percentage > 1 THEN

RAISE EXCEPTION ''Wrong arguments (LINESTRING,[0,1])'';

END IF;

--RAISE NOTICE ''percentagem %, geom:%'',percentage,lineString;

distanceFromStart := length(lineString)*percentage;

elapsedDistance = 0;

SELECT numpoints(lineString) INTO npoints;

-- RAISE NOTICE ''npoints %'',npoints;

FOR i IN 0..npoints-2 LOOP

-- RAISE NOTICE ''Iteracao'';

tempLineString :=

geomfromtext(''LINESTRING(''||

x(pointn(lineString,i))||'' ''||

y(pointn(lineString,i))||'',''||

x(pointn(lineString,i+1))||'' ''||

y(pointn(lineString,i+1))||'')'',

srid(lineString));

IF elapsedDistance+length(tempLineString)

< distanceFromStart THEN

elapsedDistance := elapsedDistance

+length(tempLineString);

ELSE