[postgis-users] PostGIS Windows Installer under XP

Steffen Macke sdteffen at web.de
Fri Jul 4 07:56:11 PDT 2003

Hello Laurent,

> I successfully launched the installer, but then, I could not connect to
> postgresql :
> psql template0 (or dcmms or template1) did not work even with the -U
> postgres option.
> I got a message like "could not connect to socket PSQL 5432 / is
> postmaster running allowing connections" ... whereas postmaster was
> indeed running....

Are you sure that this postmaster service was installed by the installer?
What was the command you used to try to connect?

psql -U postgres -h localhost template1

should work if it's the one from the installer..

> I tried to modify poistgresql.conf (after having found that the postgres
> accound uses the "dcmms" password), but the problem remained.

Yes, the windows account "postgres" uses the password dcmms - there
is no password for the postgresql user "postgres". The installer  is not
modifying the standard postgresql.conf delivered by the cygwin postgres
package.

> Before using dcmms installer, I tried to configure all by myself. I set
> ipc-dameon service and postmaster as described in the doc, but I could
> never have postmaster running : "could not launch the service due to
> session error..."

This might be the real problem: The whole process and a lot of things can
go wrong. If you have the chance to test the installer on a second XP system
that never had Postgresql installed, it should go easily - we tested it on two
systems successfully and I think also Tyler Mitchell had success. The current
installer version just has a problem to set up the sample database and load
PostGIS - the installer doesn't call the script correctly. We'll provide an
updated installer shortly.
You can try the delete-dcmms.sh script that comes with the installer sources.
It will remove the postgresql installation done by the installer (which is
pretty close to the one in the Windows Installation Tips). If you are lucky,
it might work for you. After this, a fresh installer run might succeed.

If you still have problems, please include the log files create by the
installer in
c:\cygwin\tmp
they might allow to find out what went wrong during the installation.

> When I try to compile PostGis I get an error like "ld could not find
> lpostgres". Any clue ?

When you are using the installer, there is no need to compile
PostGIS.

Steffen