[postgis-users] Insert data larger than 1 Gig...

Nick Ton nton at photon.com
Mon Jul 7 11:14:49 PDT 2003

Hi,

This email is a revisit of my previous question about raster
image data storage in PostGIS. Based on David's (David Blasby)
detailed reply, I was able to successfully insert and retrieve
DTED data with considerable ease from PostGIS. However, we have
data that far exceed the 1 Gigabyte size. So now I am faced with
a problem of trying to convert the binary data into hexadecimal
ASCII representation in memory which cause an out of memory exception.
So I was wondering if there's a way around this problem. My first thought
is to read a chunck of raster data at a time and convert it from binary to
hexadecimal text byte by byte. However, this doesn't solve the problem of
creating a SQL insert statement that has a 1 Gigabyte or greater data
field. So my question is - is there a way to insert data into PostGIS
using a SQL Insert statement that has a field data greater than 1 Gigabyte
or exceeds the on-line memory of your computer?

Nick