[postgis-users] MapServer PostgreSQL and persistent database connections

Hubert Fröhlich hubert.froehlich at bvv.bayern.de
Thu Jul 10 02:23:02 PDT 2003

Hi lists,

I use UMN MapServer with PostGIS.

When programming web applications with, say, PHP, Apache and PostgreSQL,
I can speed up database performance by keeping database connections
persistent and, therefore avoiding overhead by login and
authentification procedures.

When using MapServer with PostGIS in a CGI-style way like in the
documetnation examples, I guess that I have to open and reopen the
PostGIS connection every time I start a mapserv process (at least I
haven't found a different way) because the database connection is
defined in the mapfile.

Now my question: Is it possible that MapServer can control database
connections  and keep them persistent?
Or may be this an issue for the development team?

Any hints will be greatly appreciated.

Greetings,

Hubert

Dr.-Ing. Hubert Fröhlich
Bezirksfinanzdirektion München
Alexandrastr. 3, D-80538 München, GERMANY
Tel. :+49 (0)89 / 2190 - 2980
Fax  :+49 (0)89 / 2190 - 2459
hubert.froehlich at bvv.bayern.de