[postgis-users] Data Versioning?

Craig Miller craig at millerfam.net
Thu Jul 10 14:24:28 PDT 2003

I would just like to chime in that there is a distinct difference between a
spatio-temporal database and database versioning.  Chris outlines a number
of great examples of spatio-temporal database requirements which would all
be wonderful to have.  I almost responded with an identical post as his
yesterday.  I realized that being able to "version" or create a branch of
the content where one can explore "what if" scenarios with spatial data is
not the same thing as capturing spatial data lifeline information.

Versioning support is more inline with CVS.  A good implementation probably
requires a wrapper around the database and a schema to support it.  If done
cleanly, I would imagine that a spatio-temporal schema could then be layered
on top of that.  This is very interesting... Now I am thinking about writing
an SDE for PostGIS!

--Craig