[postgis-users] How are you editing data in PostGIS?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Wed Jul 16 08:03:11 PDT 2003

For loading AutoCAD data directly, your only choice right now is the
FME (www.safe.com). I doubt there will be another option for quite a
while, since AutoCAD format is both (a) hard and (b) always changing,
so it is a difficult target for open source developers.

Editing is not *so* hard. There will probably be live editing tools
available via JUMP or GeoTools or both, within the next few months. The
next question then is how do I print maps out of that? Or any number of
other "how is your solution not like ArcMap?" questions. We cannot make
a feature complete alternative to ArcMap in our spare time, any more
than people could make a feature complete alternative to
Word/Excel/PowerPoint in their spare time (OpenOffice was a commercial
product that was opened).

A connector for ArcMap <-> PostGIS might be a way of cracking the
oyster, but that too is a non-trivial development.

P.