[postgis-users] How are you editing data in PostGIS?

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Wed Jul 16 08:28:43 PDT 2003

Two options to consider,
1) Get DXF support built into OGR.  The OGR toolkit is quite capable for
migrating data between sources and is open source.  Since DXF-related
libraries exist, it should make the task easier.  Of course, Frank
Warmerdam can comment more logically on this suggestion.  Suffice to say
that if you'd like to move your clients to open source alternatives, then
you should consider pursuing such development so you, as their consultant,
have a set of tools to batch translate this stuff.  What I'm saying is, the
cost to get OGR up to speed would be worth it for you to support if you
want the work :)

2) Use ESRI tools that your clients might have already.  ArcMap and ArcInfo
workstation translator utilities both support reading in Autocad (in some
form at least).  If you can get the data into ArcMap, specifically, you can
give the currently developing ArcMap <-> PostGIS applications.  For more on
this see Nicolas Ribot's recent post.  If you can read the file in as an
ArcMap theme, I believe you should also be able to export it directly to
PostGIS.  Nicolas could comment better on how it is handle the export.

Tyler

|---------+--------------------------------------------->
|         |           "Mark Rodrigo"                    |
|         |           <mark at markrodrigo.com>            |
|         |           Sent by:                          |
|         |           postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refr|
|         |           actions.net                       |
|         |                                             |
|         |                                             |
|         |           07/16/2003 06:50 AM               |
|         |           Please respond to PostGIS Users   |
|         |           Discussion                        |
|---------+--------------------------------------------->
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                           |
  |       To:       <postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net>                                                   |
  |       cc:                                                                                                 |
  |       Fax to:                                                                                             |
  |       Subject:  [postgis-users] How are you editing data in PostGIS?                                      |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hello:

I have been working through PostGIS/PostGreSQL as an alternative for
clients
that require solutions without the heavy price tag of ArcSDE. As usual, the
potential users express their concerns and ask appropriate pointed
questions. One question was how can one input AutoCAD data into PostGIS? I
responded that there was no open source direct approach yet, but we could
convert CAD files to shapefiles, then input the data. Yet, a more important
question was once the data was in there, how can we edit it? I have only
been doing read only tests up to this point, but how are you editing your
data once it is in PostGIS?

Thanks

Mark