[postgis-users] Re: How are you editing data in PostGIS?

Mark Rodrigo mark at markrodrigo.com
Wed Jul 16 08:43:53 PDT 2003

I like my eggs sunny side up. : )

I came across the FME option, but somehow thought the price tag on this
piece of software was in the 2k US range? Which would be fine if I had
enough clients that needed it. I realize, also, FME has other value.

I guess Grass with PostGrass would be an option then at this time. Geotools,
I am somewhat familiar with. I'll have to look into Jump. ArcGIS would be
incredible to have. I am going to touch base with Erik Brenn about his VBA
based solution.

I realize these solutions can be fearful to certain folks who require data
update more so than anything else. I was developing a particular niche
hosting option where read only or minimal data editing would be done, and
was basically up to me to do it i.e. clients that wanted a GIS solution for
the internet and nothing else to do with it. But, my sabbatical has come to
an end, and I am searching for work, and companies I talking to are
skeptical about the openGIS solutions I am trying to bring to the table.
But, after they price out an ArcEditor/ArcGIS, SDE, Oracle/Oracle Spatial,
IIS, Win 2000 solution they are at least willing to lend an ear.

Thanks

Mark