[postgis-users] How are you editing data in PostGIS?

Nicolas RIBOT nri at scot.cnes.fr
Wed Jul 16 09:22:52 PDT 2003

Hi,

I use 2 approaches to edit data in PostGIS, depending on the size of
data to edit and the edition features required:

1°) With an Internet Client, a Java 1.1 Applet that allows to
create/modify points, polygons, polylines coming from Postgis, or
created from scratch. This applet has a little topological function to
automatically cut overlapping polygons (if this option was choosed, of
course).
It is particulary suitable for little dataset, like, for example,
farmers' fields: They can create/modify their fields directly on the
internet.

This applet should be released as OpenSource software soon.

2°) With a VBA ArcGIS module that lists geographic tables from Postgis
ODBC sources, dumps table into shapefile, and load objects back to
postgis once edition is done.

This module parses the geometries stored in Postgis (WKT) and builds
ArcGIS features for each of them, with their attributes. Features are
then stored localy in shapefiles.

Nicolas Ribot