[postgis-users] Crash when creating GIST index

Benjamin Wragg bwragg at tpg.com.au
Sun Mar 2 14:24:06 PST 2003

Hi all,

I'm have trouble when I create a GIST index on a geometry field in a
table. I get the following error:

create index featurethe_geom on feature using GIST(the_geom);

        before or while processing the request.
The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: DEBUG:  server
process
(pid 1430) was terminated by signal 11
DEBUG:  terminating any other active server processes
DEBUG:  all server processes terminated; reinitializing shared memory
and semaph
ores
DEBUG:  database system was interrupted at 2003-03-03 08:33:07 CST
DEBUG:  checkpoint record is at 0/63D9CE4
DEBUG:  redo record is at 0/63D9CE4; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown
TRUE
DEBUG:  next transaction id: 17744; next oid: 258077
DEBUG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery
in progre
ss
FATAL 1:  The database system is starting up
Failed.
!# DEBUG:  redo starts at 0/63D9D24
DEBUG:  ReadRecord: invalid magic number 0000 in log file 0, segment 6,
offset 4
104192
DEBUG:  redo done at 0/63E60C0
DEBUG:  database system is ready
!#

I checked the list and read about a bug at
http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2002-May/000978.h
tml in version 7.2.1 which sounds a little like the problem I'm having.
I'm running 7.2.2 on R.H 8, so does anyone know if this is fixed in this
release? If I run the same create index statement on a 7.2.3
winxp/cygwin install of postgres it works fine.

Cheers,

Benjamin Wragg