[postgis-users] PointM, PolyLineM, PolygonM

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Mon Mar 3 09:46:03 PST 2003

Measure is commonly used to proxy other values into a line, vertex by
vertex. For example, the "road miles" of a highway system often differ
from the mathematical milage calculated from the geometries. So in order
to determine the "location" of events calculated relative to road miles
(company A has contract to maintain highway from mile A to mile B)
"measures" are attached to the vertices indicating the road milage at
each vertex, and events are located on the geometry by "measuring"
relative to those values.

Since the measures are a vertex-by-vertex measurement, not a
feature-by-feature one, they cannot be dropped into an attribute table,
generally speaking.

Paul

--
       __