[postgis-users] Raster data

Christoph Spoerri spoerri at duke.edu
Mon Mar 10 08:39:33 PST 2003

Chris,

Could you provide me with some more details on your raster setup? It sounds as
you have a good solution to manage such large datasets. Whats the largest
raster you are serving up?

Regarding the server vs. client issues: I was thinking that the
compression/decompression may occur on the client (save bandwidth and
increase performance on server). The same should be the case for
reprojection. Mosaicking would be done on the server. In addition the server
would create pyramids in order to improve the performance when rasters are
only used for display.

While a db system does not have a significant advantage for small rasters (10
- 100 Mb?), I believe that performance improves with larger rasters, since
the db can index individual tiles of the entire raster and its pyramids.

In ArcSDE I'm serving up a 300 GB, seamless raster which takes between 5 - 20
seconds to display over the net independent of scale or extend.

Of course I'm open to any suggestions, opinions or comments.

Christoph