[postgis-users] ArcMap Extension for PostGIS? Anyone?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Tue Mar 25 12:49:33 PST 2003

Theoretically, the whole ArcMap object model is exposed as COM objects,
so one can extend them in C++ and register new data handlers into the
system. In practice, noone knows. I have seen no proof that such radical
extensions can be done, as no non-ESRI company has release a read/write
layer for anything. The closest I have seen is an extension from Safe
software which will create a readonly layer from an arbitrary input
format which can then be saved out in ESRI formats.

P.