[postgis-users] Spatial joins in raster?

Steve Stanton sstanton at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 4 14:15:49 PST 2003

I'm new to postgis, looking for software to do efficient
spatial joins on multiple tables (where each row corresponds
to a polygon).

I tried using the JTS MultiPolygon.intersect method to
dumbly compare a couple of shape files (compared each
polygon in file#1 to every polygon in file#2), and it was
a bit too slow (I threw in an initial envelope overlap
check on each polygon overlay, which made it run about
12x faster, but that's still too slow.)

Is there any software out there that does spatial joins
in raster? I'm playing with environmental analysis, don't
need the precision of a vector overlay, and don't mind
holding raster representations off to one side. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

Steve Stanton