[postgis-users] FW: postgis.sql

Anthony Agoro (C) Anthony.Agoro at ordnancesurvey.co.uk
Wed Oct 15 10:29:31 PDT 2003

Thanks guys,
As you gathered I'm rather new to the forum, Postgres and Postgis.
I reinstalled PostGIS and found Postgis.sql in the following directory:

/usr/local/pgsql/postgresql-7.3.4/contrib/postgis-0.7.3/postgis.sql

I used the following command to load the PostGIS object and function definitions into the database

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql -d osmm  -f /usr/local/pgsql/postgresql-7.3.4/contrib/postgis-0.7.3/postgis.sql

I got the following message:

	MESSAGE

plpgsql is installed
(1 row)

CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 's patial_ref_sys_pkey' for table 'spatial_ref_sys'
CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 's c_pk' for table 'geometry_columns'
CREATE TABLE
CREATE FUNCTION

Then

psql errors

such as :218: NOTICE: ProcedureCreate: type box3d is not yet defined
	  :218 ERROR stat failed on file '/usr/lib/contrib/libostgis.so.0.7' : No such file or directory
alot of aborted error

Platform : redhat 7.3  (on x86 (Intel))
Postgres:  Postgresql-7.3.4.tar.gz
PostGis:   0.7.3

I installed postgresql as per the doc:

# cd [postgresql source tree]/contrib
# gzip -d -c	postgis-0.7.tar.gz | tar xvf -

I installed PostGIS following instruction obtained from PostGIS forum))

> Move the tar file to the 'contrib' directory of you PostgreSQL support
> tree, and de-compress it.
> cd contrib
> gunzip postgis-0.7.1.tar.gz
> tar xvf postgis-0.7.1.tar
> Change directories to the root of the PostgreSQL source tree:
> $ cd ../..
> Use the following configure arguments to configure the master makefile
> correctly, then make, but DON'T make install
> ./configure --enable-multibyte --with-CXX --prefix=/usr
> --sysconfdir=/etc --docdir=/usr/doc/postgresql-$version
> make
> Return to the PostGIS directory, and follow the standard installation
> instructions:
> make
> make install

  # createlang plpgsql [yourdatabase]

  # psql -d [yourdatabase] -f	postgis.sql

Tyler

I would love to grab the window solution, we are however trying to deploy on pure open source, thus redhat. Should I not manage to get it going I may have take you up on it, as time is pressing on me.

It appears that I have a real challenge. I hope I can pick your brains tomorrow morning.

Many thanks,

Anthony