[postgis-users]

Menke, Kurt kmenke at edac.unm.edu
Tue Sep 9 14:50:53 PDT 2003

I am trying to familiarize myself with POSTGIS syntax and am hitting some
barriers.  I'm sure there is something basic I am missing.  Any help would
be greatly appreciated

1) Is Geometry still a valid data type?  I am working on a POSTGIS tutorial
and if I use the SELECT command below

SELECT AddGeometryColumn ( 'db', 'table', 'field', -1, 'GEOMETRY', 2 ) ;

I get:

Invalid Type name - valid ones are: GEOMETRY, GEOMETRYCOLLECTION, POINT,
MULTIPOINT, POLYGON, MULTIPOLYGON, LINESTRING, MULTILINESTRIN

2) I hit another roadblock when trying to use the shp2pgsql command.

When I try to dump a shapefile into a new tabel using:

./shape2pgsql -D db /var/www/cgi-bin/atlas/data/states_nlam.shp states db

I get a series of coordinates printing to the screen but the table is not
created.   What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Kurt

Kurt A. Menke