[postgis-users] PostGIS good for moving map, navigation software?

Adam Renner arenner-dev at ameritech.net
Sat Apr 3 13:51:43 PST 2004

I have been discussing with others about improving the quality of GPS
navigation software available for linux.  We would like to come up with
a GPL solution that is competitive with the products you buy from
delorme, microsoft, rand mcnally, etc...

We think that we want to get the data from the Tiger/Line files and
convert it to something better.  We would need to the database to work
so that parts of it could be downloaded by region to a device (ie, maybe
you want just the State of California and major US highways on your PDA)
and we would need to database to work fairly quickly for the moving map
display.
a) Would PostGIS be a good candidate for this purpose?  Would you
recommend something else instead?
b) How does it compare with commercial databases like Navtech's when
used in this fashion?

A Renner