[postgis-users] PostGIS good for moving map, navigation software?

Wood Brent pcreso at pcreso.com
Sat Apr 3 15:57:10 PST 2004

--- Adam Renner <arenner-dev at ameritech.net> wrote:
> I have been discussing with others about improving the quality of GPS
> navigation software available for linux.  We would like to come up with
> a GPL solution that is competitive with the products you buy from
> delorme, microsoft, rand mcnally, etc...

I (& others) are currently working on a project (through NZOSS) to build a
freely available version of the New Zealand vector topo dataset. This is
currently a commercial product, but we hope to have a PostGIS version, as a
precursor to shapefiles, etc.

The dataset contains elevation contours, road centrelines, rivers, streams,
lakes, coastlines, waterfalls, quarries & many other types.

I believe such a dataset, along with a DEM derived from the elevation contours,
would be suitable for a GPS system, where GPS data is another layer in this
set, and can be updated automatically & redisplayed as required.

I hope to have the topo data built in a few months, and would be very
interested in a GPS plugin to such a database.

I'm looking at QGIS, mapserver/maplab & JUMP/JRE as possible front ends to the
data.

Any comments/suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

   Brent Wood