[postgis-users] problem with pgsql2shp and shp2pgsql

Andrea Rossi il_vikingo at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 7 06:22:15 PDT 2004

I am using linux rehat9, postgres7.3 but I don't know
the version of pgsql2shp/shp2pgsql... to install
PostGis I have used the RPM and I have not compiled
it...
In wich dir does it try to create the DBF?
How can I find if the path is correct?
Thank you very much...

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 05:49:42AM -0700, Andrea Rossi
wrote:
> When I use the command pgsql2shp I recive the error:
> Initializing... Could not create dbf file

You probably do not have permissions to write the
output file.

> and when I try tu use the command shp2pgsql i recive
> the error:
>
> shape is null

shp2pgsql could not open the shapefile (pretty cryptic
message indeed)

> I am logged in as root and I have alla privileges.
The
> shap is not null.
>

> What could be? Any Idea?

You might be using the wrong path... or you found a
bug.
What version of pgsql2shp/shp2pgsql are you using ?
What OS are you on ?

--strk;