[postgis-users] problem creating tables with geometry column

Wood Brent pcreso at pcreso.com
Thu Apr 8 20:10:59 PDT 2004

This is partly a QGIS issue, but it relates to the underlyingPosGIS database.

I have imported a shapefile of elevation contours (table called contours).

This works fine, and has an entry in the geometry_columns table.

I then create a subset of the table,
   select * into cont100 from contour where elevation = 100;

This creates (or seems to) a table with the appropriate subset of data. I can
query it & all seems fine.

Trying to display the new table in QGIS fails, as the new table is not loaded
into the geometry_columns table, which is apparently where QGIS builds it's
pick list of spatial tables to plot from.

I tried the addgeometrycolumn function, but this failed, as the new table
already had one.

Is there any way of updating the geometry_columns table with the appropriate
values for a table created by a select such as I used above?

Thanks,

  Brent Wood