[postgis-users] Multiuser system question

Alexander Pucher pucher at atlas.gis.univie.ac.at
Tue Apr 13 04:42:17 PDT 2004

Hi,

I hope that my question is clear enough to be answered.

I'm setting up a multiuser system with PostGIS and UMN MapServer. When
the user starts the system, a unique id is assigned to the session.

I offer the user a selection of "default" geometry sets to work with.
During the session, the user can buffer geometries, which are stored as
new geometry tables in the system. To keep track of the various
users/tables, I have a kind of "lookup table", referencing the unique id
with the geometry tables.

The question is a rather pragmatic one. Should I set up one lookup-table
and store all default tables along with all table references that all
users create, or create a seperate lookup table for every session that
is started? So consider 500 people with each more then 20 geometry
tables working on the system the same time. What is more performant: all
users working on one big table or working on several smaller ones?

regards,
alex