[postgis-users] shp2pgsql loader

Saurabh Data saurabhdata at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 13 07:02:51 PDT 2004

Dear users

As it says in the documentation about the shp2pgsql loader :

a)  shp2pgsql shaperoads roadstable roadsdb > roads.sql
b)  psql -d roadsdb -f roads.sql

Can someone clarify what exactly is happening in a) and b)

I understand that the a) is for conversion and b) is for uploading the file
to psql

What I  understand is that the command shp2pgsql in a) converts a shapfile
called "shaperoads" into roads.sql  ..but what does roadstable and roadsdb
signify ?

Am I right in assuming that in b) , it just tries to connect to the psql
database name roadsdb and places the file roads.sql there ?

Thanks for any help

Saurabh Data

Saurabh Data
School of Computing
University of Leeds
Leeds LS2 9JT
U.K.

one who seeketh , will findeth and all door shall open - james Allen