[postgis-users] loading data

Wood Brent pcreso at pcreso.com
Thu Apr 15 10:20:22 PDT 2004

Hopefully a simple query.

I've been using copy as my bulk loader for postgres.

copy isn't mentioned as working or not for tables with a postgis geometry
column in the PostGIS docs so I fgured I'd ask here.

Does copy work?
If so, is there any special format for the geometry data?
If I can copy from a table to file, will it work the other way (with the same
 format)?

(I know I could try this, but I figure it may appear to work but not, & there
may be gotchas or caveats, so asking the experts for advice is safer :-)

Thanks,

  Brent Wood