[postgis-users] createlang plpgsql mydatabase

Robert Aldridge bamarob55 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 16 08:09:57 PDT 2004

Thanks for the quick reply.  That very well could be
the problem, I suppose.  In my excitement to get
everything set up on this new laptop, I could have
messed something up.  I went through several
iterations of trying to install postgresql from .deb
files without success.  I finally ended up installing
postgresql and postgis from source.  Everything seemed
to install correctly.

I gave up on using createlang and used the
instructions from the PostgreSQL Documentation on
'CREATE LANGUAGE' to manually create the language.
Again, everyting seemed to go fine with no errors.

However, when I try to run 'psql -f postgis -d
mydatabase', I get:

psql:postgis.sql:44: NOTICE: type "histogram2d" is not
yet defined
DETAIL:  Creating a shell type definition.
psql:postgis.sql:44: ERROR: could not access file
"$libdir/libpostgis.so.0.8": No such file or directory

This is followed by lots of 'ERROR: current trasaction
is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction
block' errors.

Is this install fixable, or do I need to try starting
over from scratch?

Thanks,

Robert Aldridge

Could you have different versions of createlang and
psql? Because they
both use libpq, if they are compiled at the same time,
with the same
configuration, they generally work identically (same
libpq defaults),
so the problem you are getting should not occur.

On Friday, April 16, 2004, at 07:30 AM, Robert
Aldridge wrote:

> I'm having problems with the createlang command
when,
> as the postgres user, I run:
>
> createlang plpgsql mydatabase
>
> I get:
>
> createlang: could not connect to database
mydatabase:
> could not connect to server: No such file or
directory