[postgis-users] GEOS install help for Solaris 9

Matthew Perry mtperry78 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 6 14:53:16 PDT 2004

Hello,

  We are trying to run postgis on Solaris 9.
Everything is ok except for the GEOS functions.
For example, check out the following output from
psql...
--------------------------

test=# select intersection('POINT(1 1)', 'POINT(1
1)');
        This probably means the server terminated
abnormally
        before or while processing the request.
The connection to the server was lost. Attempting
reset: Failed.
!> select * from pg_tables;
You are currently not connected to a database.
!>

The logfile provides the following:
----------------------------------

LOG:  server process (PID 19666) was terminated by
signal 11
LOG:  terminating any other active server processes
LOG:  all server processes terminated; reinitializing
LOG:  database system was interrupted at 2004-08-05
13:55:59 PDT
LOG:  checkpoint record is at 0/C75FA8
LOG:  redo record is at 0/C75FA8; undo record is at
0/0; shutdown TRUE
LOG:  next transaction ID: 558; next OID: 27382
LOG:  database system was not properly shut down;
automatic recovery in progress
FATAL:  the database system is starting up
LOG:  invalid magic number 0000 in log file 0, segment
0, offset 13066240
LOG:  redo is not required
LOG:  database system is ready

------------------------------

So is it reasonable to assume that GEOS was not
installed properly? How would I test this? I noticed a
little app that comes with GEOS called
"SimpleWKTTester" but can't make it do anything, nor
can I find any documentation on it.

Any ideas? Anyone have any experience with this
problem on Solaris before?

Thanks for the input,

Matthew Perry
Humboldt State University
Environmental and Natural Resource Sciences