[postgis-users] Postgres 8.0beta1 crashes when SELECTing using GIST index?

Dan R Greening greening at bigtribe.com
Sun Aug 15 08:28:09 PDT 2004

The following test SQL script crashes Postgres (the server) under the
Postgres 8.0beta1 Windows-installer plus PostGIS windows installer.  I
suspect it might actually be me using something I shouldn't, but could you
take a peek?  Yes, I loaded postgis.sql.

The crash occurs in the SELECT statement at the end.

---------------
CREATE TABLE poiloc (
  poiid varchar(11) NOT NULL UNIQUE,
  latitude DOUBLE PRECISION NOT NULL,
  longitude DOUBLE PRECISION NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY  (poiid)
);
CREATE INDEX lat_index ON poiloc (latitude,longitude);
CREATE INDEX lon_index ON poiloc (longitude,latitude);
INSERT INTO poiloc (poiid, latitude, longitude) VALUES
('27165',37.766029,-122.430382);
INSERT INTO poiloc (poiid, latitude, longitude) VALUES
('11',37.764894,-122.423022);
INSERT INTO poiloc (poiid, latitude, longitude) VALUES
('12',37.764829,-122.423882);
INSERT INTO poiloc (poiid, latitude, longitude) VALUES
('18',37.762529,-122.396481);
INSERT INTO poiloc (poiid, latitude, longitude) VALUES
('19',37.761829,-122.418282);
INSERT INTO poiloc (poiid, latitude, longitude) VALUES
('25',37.790508,-122.398332);
INSERT INTO poiloc (poiid, latitude, longitude) VALUES
('26',37.788028,-122.395281);
SELECT AddGeometryColumn('poi','poiloc','geom',-1,'POINT', 2);
UPDATE poiloc set geom = GeometryFromText('POINT(' || latitude || ' ' ||
longitude || ')',
    -1);
CREATE INDEX geom_idx ON poiloc USING GIST(geom gist_geometry_ops);
select poiid from poiloc where geom && GeometryFromText('BOX3D(37.76930
-122.40798,37.78729 -122.38521)',-1);

Dan Greening, Ph.D.  CEO BigTribe http://dan.greening.name/contact.htm