[postgis-users] The operator && is not overlaps operator based onthe OGC SF SQL

Nicolas RIBOT nri at scot.cnes.fr
Wed Aug 18 01:36:18 PDT 2004

Hello Darko,

No. && overlap operator is not related to OGC definition of spatial
operators:
The "&&" operator works on geometries' bounding box (extent), not on the
geometries themselves.

"&&" tells if 2 geometries' extents overlap or not. Spatial index uses
it to exclude geometries from a spatial query, speeding up the process.

OGC spatial operators are implemented in the GEOS extension and follow
the semantic you explained.
They also follow the OGC naming convention: overlap(geometry, geometry),
intersect(geometry, geometry), etc...

Nicolas