[postgis-users] The operator && is not overlaps operator basedonthe OGC SF SQL

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Wed Aug 18 09:49:19 PDT 2004

Just to clarify Darko: you are aware that the && test applies *only* to
the geometries *bounding boxes* not to the geometries themselves, right?
We use the && operator only for a "first pass" thinning of candidate
geometries, which are then passed to the more intensive GEOS testing.
("geom && candidate AND intersects(geom,candidate)")

Is the exact semantic of the bounding box test still important to you?