[postgis-users] PostGIS install

Eric Wright eric.linux at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 10 11:56:09 PST 2004

Good evening,
I am trying to install the postgis package and when I get to the step:
|    psql -d yourtestdatabase -f postgis.sql

I get the following error:
    psql:postgis.sql:44: NOTICE:  type "histogram2d" is not yet defined
    DETAIL:  Creating a shell type definition.
    psql:postgis.sql:44: ERROR:  could not load library
"/usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpostgis.so.0.8":
    libgeos.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I am can browse to the directory where the ||/usr/local/pgsql/lib/
directory and verify that the file (or a link to the file) does exist so
I am at a loss as to why it is complaining.

In case you have not guessed yet I am fairly new to the Linux thing so
any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Eric W