[postgis-users] Intersection returns geometrycollection

manuel gimond gimond at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 12 08:14:07 PST 2004

I have a table in PGSQL loaded from a shapefile using pgsl2shp. When I
intersect that layer with a simple geometry (of type POLYGON) , I sometimes
get a geom of type "geometrycollection" filled with linestrings and polygons
. This occurs less than 5% of the time, but when it does it prevents me from
converting the newly created table to a shapefile.
Why would INTERSECTION(geom 'of type Multipolygon', geom 'of type Polygon)
sometimes return a geom of type 'geometrycollection' as opposed to type
polygon or multipolygon?

Manny