[postgis-users] Intersection returns geometrycollection

David TECHER davidtecher at yahoo.fr
Thu Feb 12 09:00:58 PST 2004

 Hi manuel gimond

> Why would INTERSECTION(geom 'of type Multipolygon',
> geom 'of type Polygon)
> sometimes return a geom of type 'geometrycollection'
> as opposed to type
> polygon or multipolygon?

It depends on the type of intersection you have with
polygons and multipolygons: crosses, contains,
overlaps.

It might be that the intersection is  (lines +
points), not multipolygon. So that's the reason why
it could be a geometrycollection.

 I attached an image to my mail in order to you
understand...

Regards

David