[postgis-users] PostGIS Capabilities

Chris Haste CHaste at airdata.co.uk
Thu Feb 19 02:03:40 PST 2004

I'm just trying to assess the suitability of using PostGIS for one of our
projects and have the following questions;

Assuming that we are storing point, line and polygon data....

Given an irregular closed polygon can we perform SQL statements along the
lines of "give me all the points that reside within the polygon?

Given the same polygon can we obtain all the lines that intersect the
polygon?

For the above are the coordinates of the intersection points calculated and
obtainable?

Can we obtain all the points within a certain radius of a specified points?

Can we obtain all the lines that reside entirely (without intersecting the
boundary) within a circle or an ellipse?

Is it possible to specify the segments of a polygon as being either a
straight line, a rhumb line or a great circle? This is necessary to avoid
problems to do with the curvature of the earth.

Brgrds

Chris