[postgis-users] PostGIS Capabilities

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Thu Feb 19 15:31:54 PST 2004

> Thanks. It works.

Right on - I thought we were just talking theory, nice to see it works :)

> Could you tell me why the following SQL does not working?
>
> SELECT bridge.gid
> FROM bridge, highway
> WHERE intersects(bridge.the_geom, highway.the_geom) and highway.gid =
49;

This takes me back to the question of how you define "on the line".  I
would bet (others can verify) that if the bridge point did actually fall
exactly on the road line vector (highly unlikely in my opinion) then this
should work.

> For your information, the operation with "intersecting" in ArcGIS
worked.

Interesting.  I then assume that the ArcGIS buffers your points and then
looks for the intersections.  It's really a matter of scale which.  Zoom
in as far as you possibly can and tell me if the point and line directly
overlap.  I assume that they do not!  This brings up the question of
whether or not ArcGIS "should" work or not.  But we're not taught to
question ;)

In my opinion, the user should have to think about a search radius between
features like this and not default to software to guess.

This reminds me of an old problem I had with Arcview 3 - we were
programmatically grabbing and zooming to the extent of features.  We hit
lots of problems, only to finally discover that AV was extending the
extent so that it "looked good" on the screen.  Oh well, I've heard that
legacy GIS applications like AV and Arc Map are still good for some tasks
:)

Tyler