[postgis-users] PostGIS Capabilities

Jong S. Lee jonglee1 at uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 20 08:29:23 PST 2004

Tyler Mitchell wrote:

> This takes me back to the question of how you define "on the line".  I
> would bet (others can verify) that if the bridge point did actually
> fall exactly on the road line vector (highly unlikely in my opinion)
> then this should work.

I agree with you opinion. However, the bridge data (point shape file) is
created based on the highway data.  The highway data has LRS (linear
referencing system) to locate the point (or event) on the highway.  The
bridge data is created via LRS.  Therefore, it should be exactly on the
highway.  But, I am not sure. I can't trust ESRI product 100 %.  If I
assume that ESRI product makes the right bridge data on the highway,
the precision of the coordinates might be changed when I converted
shapefile to PostGIS db table.  Still I suspect the ESRI product, too.

> > For your information, the operation with "intersecting" in ArcGIS
> worked.
>
> Interesting.  I then assume that the ArcGIS buffers your points and
> then looks for the intersections.  It's really a matter of scale
> which.  Zoom in as far as you possibly can and tell me if the point
> and line directly overlap.  I assume that they do not!  This brings up
> the question of whether or not ArcGIS "should" work or not.  But we're
> not taught to question ;)

Actually, ArcGIS give you the option field about buffer distance.  I
used 0 value for the buffer distance.  And, in ArcGIS, even if I zoom in
as far as possible, the points (bridge) are on the line.

> In my opinion, the user should have to think about a search radius
> between features like this and not default to software to guess.

YES!! it is very useful tip for me.  Thank you again.

--
Jong Sung Lee, Graduate Research Assistant
Department of Urban and Regional Planning

Tel:(217)244-6564
E-mail:jonglee1 at uiuc.edu