[postgis-users] Help on Postgresql 7.4.1 install with postgis 0.81

Jeremy Palmer jpalmer at paradise.net.nz
Sun Feb 22 01:46:22 PST 2004

Hi,

I'm new to the world of postgis and postgreSQL. Up until now I have used the
redhat 9.0 rpms for the install of postgis, geos and proj. However the rpms
have only been compiled for postgres 7.3.1 and I wanted to use the latest
version of 7.4.1. I have downloaded and installed all of the sources. My
question is that with postgresql, postgis, proj and geos it seems the
configure scripts by default install the files to /usr/local/lib and
/usr/local/pgsql, and as far as I can tell I think under the redhat the
files should be going to /usr/bin and /usr/bin and postgresql data directory
should be in the /var/lib/pgsql/? Could someone please show me how to
configure postgresql, postgis, geos and proj scripts so that the "make
install" of the sources will install into the correct directories. The
configure options are a little confusing to me!

Thank you very much for your time.

Jeremy