[postgis-users] Upgrade PostGIS/GEOS

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Mon Jan 12 07:41:53 PST 2004

Generally speaking, for small upgrades, yes.
Two things happen when you do an in-place upgrade of the code:
- If there has been a change in the on disk structure, nothing will
work. However, there has not been a structure change for quite a long
time (The 0.6 to 0.7 upgrade was the last one, if I recall correctly.)
- You will not have access to any new functions unless you carefully
add the new functions from the SQL file. You will have access to bug
fixes in existing C functions, but not in the PL/PgSQL functions
(because those are in the SQL file). A careful hand drop / load of the
new SQL functions could be done with a little detail work.
P.