[postgis-users] Strange Exceptions

Markus Schaber schabios at logi-track.com
Mon Jan 26 11:01:13 PST 2004

Hi, Paul,

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:03:16 -0800
Paul Ramsey <pramsey at refractions.net> wrote:

> Validity is a terrible chicken and egg problem. Ideally, people would
> only have valid geometries. So we could enforce a "valid-only" load
> rule. But then how to people load their data, if they have a few
> invalid geometries? Do we silently drop them? Then how to they find
> and fix them? If we let people load invalid geometries (and we pretty
> much have to) then how do we keep people from running
> validity-sensitive tests on them? Etc, etc, etc.

Maybe you could enforce a valid-only database, and provide a validfilter
Function that produces null (or some special empty Geometry object) that
users can use to upload, so that the users fail to insert bad geometries
in the first point, but can workaround it via inserting
validfilter(GeomFromText(text,[<srid>]))

Greets,
Markus

--
markus schaber | dipl. informatiker
logi-track ag | rennweg 14-16 | ch 8001 zürich