[postgis-users] POINT conversion

Rafael Vidal Aroca rafael at 3wt.com.br
Tue Jul 6 19:42:24 PDT 2004

	Hello, i have 2 questions related to the POINT structure. One is about what i did, and another about what i'll do :-)

	The problem:
	I have a table with 2 fields that keep historic GPS positions (latitude and longitude). This fields are stored in WGS84 format, DDMM.SS.

	I need this data in SAD69/UTM format, but to convert the data i need these values to be in DD.MMSS

	What i did:
	I created a postgresql function that converts DDMM.SS to DD.MMSS and called this function inside a select with transform, and ok, i got the data in the format i need!
	But is this the best way to do it? Or is there another way of doing this that i am not aware of?

	What i'll do:
	The data i got is correct, but unsable, because the output is like:

	SRID=X, POINT(xxxxx yyyyy)

	but this is not of any help for me, because i need these two valeus in separeted fields of a table or view...or am i doing something wrong? Is there another way of dealing with these valeus? I have a servlet that reads a table and generates a xml output...

	thanks

	Rafael.