[postgis-users] installation (last step) problems

Marie-Lise VAUTIER vautier at ensg.ign.fr
Thu Jul 15 04:25:01 PDT 2004

Hello,

I know that it is a very current problem, but I have a problem with the last
step of the installation of postgis, that is to say, when I enter spql -d mydb
-f postgis.sql.
I have installed geos and proj4, because I already had problems without them.
geos has been installed with the default ./configure and proj4 with ./configure
--prefix=/usr/local/proj4.

I get the following error message:

[postgres at localhost postgres]$ psql -d mydb -f
/usr/local/pgsql/share/contrib/postgis.sql
BEGIN
        message
------------------------
 PL/PgSQL is installed.
(1 row)

NOTICE:  type "histogram2d" is not yet defined
DETAIL:  Creating a shell type definition.
ERROR:  could not load library "/usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpostgis.so.0.8":
libgeos.so.1: cannot open shared obj
ect file: No such file or directory
psql:/usr/local/pgsql/share/contrib/postgis.sql:44: NOTICE:  type "histogram2d"
is not yet defined
DETAIL:  Creating a shell type definition.
psql:/usr/local/pgsql/share/contrib/postgis.sql:44: ERROR:  could not load
library "/usr/local/pgsql/lib/libp
ostgis.so.0.8": libgeos.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory
ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of
transaction block
psql:/usr/local/pgsql/share/contrib/postgis.sql:49: ERROR:  current transaction
is aborted, commands ignored
until end of transaction block

libgeos.so.1 is in /usr/local/lib.

I have not "linked postgresql against the standard c++ library", as described in
the documentation, because I don't know exactly where to write this line. Is it
the reason why it doesn't work?

Thank you for your help, Marie-Lise.